Lancaster Cohousing sold all of its 29 leasehold houses, six leasehold flats and six freehold houses by early 2014. All homes now available are currently owned by private individuals. Details of these, and of any homes available to let, are provided below, with links to any further details provided by the sellers / letters.
Moving house is obviously a big commitment, but so is joining a community, so here is some information that you might find useful before moving forward with a potential purchase / let:
For the 35 leasehold homes (also known as ‘Forgebank’ homes)
- Purchasers must be accepted as members of Lancaster Cohousing, and abide by our policies, agreements, and the conditions of the lease.
- Tenants must also be accepted as members of Lancaster Cohousing, and abide by our policies and agreements. Their tenancy agreements will include some of the same conditions as the lease, eg around work contribution.
- Members have access to all our community facilities, including a tool shed, bike shed, food store, laundry, play room, gardens, guest rooms and the Common House. The costs of running these are met by a monthly service charge, part of which is payable by the leaseholder, and part by the adults living in each property, whether leaseholder or tenant.
- Members are expected to join one or more of the service teams which manage our essential community work (eg Finance, Land, Common Areas, Buildings & Utilities, Information) and share in the responsibility of getting this work done by making regular work contributions. Members are also expected to contribute to the cooking and cleaning of our regular vegetarian and vegan communal meals.
- Members are expected to attend our monthly General Meetings, where decisions which affect the community are made by consensus. Any member may stand as a Director of the company.
- Members are expected to abide by our travel plan, and in particular, if they are car users, to join our car club. Only in very specific circumstances where needs can’t be met by the car club are members able to keep private cars on site, and these must be insured and bookable for use by other members. Members may not keep private cars on the public highway within a 2km radius of Forgebank.
- Members get preferential rates on the cost of workspace in Halton Mill, the coworking space owned by Lancaster Cohousing and run by on its behalf by a not-for-profit cooperative organisation.
- Lancaster Cohousing supplies Forgebank homes with electricity and heating/hot water energy: because of the way the homes have been built (district heating & hot water, electricity microgrid), residents do not have the option of changing supplier.
For the six freehold houses (also known as ‘Heron Bank’ homes)
- There is no requirement to join Lancaster Cohousing, but Heron Bank residents are welcome to opt in to community life. This involves paying a service charge to access the communal facilities, joining one or more of the service teams which manage our essential community work, and contributing to the cooking and cleaning of our regular communal meals. Opted in Heron Bank residents are also expected to attend our monthly General Meetings, may stand as Directors of the company, and are eligible for discounted workspace in Halton Mill.
- Each Heron Bank home has a private car parking space, and there is no obligation to join our car club, though membership of this is open to anyone who meets our insurance conditions.
- Lancaster Cohousing supplies Heron Bank homes with electricity and heating/hot water energy: because of the way the homes have been built (district heating & hot water, electricity microgrid), residents do not have the option of changing supplier.
Homes currently for sale:
- 1 Forgebank Walk (leasehold): One-bedroom ground floor flat. Contact Steve: firstname.lastname@example.org / 07769 325241
- 6 Forgebank Walk (leasehold): Three bedroom two storey house, details here. Contact Fiona: email@example.com / 07778 737681
- 39 Mill Lane (leasehold): Three bedroom three storey house. See http://www.v-move.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-220.html for more details.
Homes currently for rent:
- 10 Forgebank Walk (leasehold): One-bedroom ground floor flat. Contact Geof: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in any of these properties please contact the seller directly, but we also encourage you to get in touch with our Membership team, who can answer any questions you have about joining Lancaster Cohousing, and if it sounds like it’s for you, can start the membership process.
Lancaster Cohousing Membership Team
Last updated: March 2015