What is cohousing?
Cohousing is a housing development that balances the advantages of home ownership with the benefits of shared common facilities and connections with your neighbours. These co-operative neighbourhoods are designed to encourage both social contact and individual space, and are organised, planned and managed by the residents themselves.
Private homes contain all the features of conventional homes, but residents also have access to a common house with shared facilities such as a dining room, an area for childcare, workshops and laundry. Resident cooked dinners are often available in the common house for those who wish to participate.
To see photos of existing cohousing projects go to links (see *).
Is Lancaster Cohousing for you?
If your answer is yes to most of these questions then it probably is...
- Would you like to live somewhere where you know, share values with and socialise with your neighbours?
- Do you want a social life you don't have to plan in advance?
- Would you like to share large living, cooking, dining and outdoor spaces?
- Do you have ecological values?
- Would you like to regularly eat shared vegetarian or vegan meals?
- Would you be happy for your car use to be limited to occasional use of a car pool scheme?
- Do you want to live in or close to Lancaster?
- Do you wish to own a private home with self contained kitchen and living space?
- Would you like to benefit from the ecological and financial advantages of sharing some facilities with other households?
- Would you like to know that children can play outdoors in a car free environment?